I love a good parmie, but every time I order one, I end up terribly sick 🙁 So I gave up my love for oversized parmies many years ago. Every time I go to the pub and order one, I end up begging M to never let me do it again, so you can imagine that creating a gluten free/healthy parmie has been on my list since forever. I endeavoured to make it nut free, but you can always substitute the ingredients as per the recipe. I hope you guys love this one as much as I did for lunch!
skinnymixer's Grain Free Chicken Parmie
- 50 g | 1.8 oz sesame seeds
- 50 g | 1.8 oz sunflower seeds or raw almonds or bread crumbs
- 2 tsp italian herb mix from the supermarket
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Parmie Sauce Ingredients
- 150 g | 5.3 oz tomato paste
- 50 g | 1.8 oz semi dried tomato
- 50 g | 1.8 oz roasted capsicum
- 15 g | 0.5 oz water
- 5 g | 0.2 oz olive oil
- 1/4 tsp italian herb mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of dried chilli flakes this is optional, but HIGHLY recommended - it isnt spicy!
Chicken Parmie Ingredients
- 500 g | 17.6 oz raw chicken breast cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 20 g | 0.7 oz of reserved crumb mixture
- Oil to fry
- Cheese of choice I used baby bocconcini
- Add crumb ingredients to a dry mixer bowl, chop for 3-5 sec/speed 5/MC on. You want to have a crumb texture, not powder. Set aside on a large plate.
- Without washing the bowl, add your paste ingredients and chop for 5 sec/speed 5/MC on. Set aside in a bowl, ensuring to scrape out as much of the sauce as possible.
- Without washing the bowl, add chicken parmie ingredients and process for 40 sec/speed 9/MC on.
- Divide the chicken mixture into 4 or 6, with damp hands and form into 2 cm steaks. I found putting a portion of the chicken mixture onto the plate of crumbs, and pressing it out onto the crumbs the easiest way.
- Pre heat a frying pan to medium high heat with preferred oil. Also pre heat your grill to medium high.
- Fry your schnitzels for around 3 minutes on one side so its golden brown, then flip and fry for around 2 minutes. You dont want to overcook them as they will continue cooking under the grill.
- Top each schnitzel with your reserved parmie sauce, then cheese and grill until golden brown.