Welcome to the first recipe of 2016, and happy new year! I am not super keen on eating seafood, as many of you know… but I am slowly coming around to the idea of it thanks to a gorgeous friend of mine who introduced me to how yummy salmon can be (I actually ate this and loved it!). It might seem strange that I would choose to cook a mussel recipe for my first recipe of 2016, but the biggest part of why I love doing what I do is that I get to feed the people I love – and my Dad and Michael loooove seafood. This is a low carb/high fat style recipe, but I have provided some hints in the notes on how to make it a lower calorie dish, as well as seafood free. I hope you all love the French mussels and I cant wait to see pics! Love Nik xx
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 200 g brown onions, peeled, quarted
- 80 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 800 g water
- 2 tbsp chicken stock concentrate (or liquid chicken stock)
- 1 red apple, quatered (optional)
- 1 kg black mussels, debearded
- 80 g crème fraîche or sour cream
- a handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Add garlic to mixer bowl, chop for 3 sec/speed 9/MC on.
- Add onion to mixer bowl, chop for 3 sec/speed 5/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add butter and cook for 10 min/100 degrees/speed 1/MC off.
- Add water, chicken stock and apple to mixer bowl, cook for 15 min/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC on.
- Remove apple from the broth and discard, put prepared mussels into the deep steaming tray, put it in place and cook for 5-7 min/steaming temperature/speed 2 or until mussels are opened.
- Set mussels aside, add crème fraîche and parsley to soup, stir for 10 sec/speed 3/MC on. Pour hot soup over mussels and enjoy.
If you dont like seafood, you can easily just make this soup without the mussel step - its delicious on its own! You could also use prawns, white fish or poach chicken in the broth during step 4.
Use your blunt blade for this recipe.
At step 2 add on chopping time if required.
At step 4 if using an Intelli, you'll need to use ST temp and if using a Supercook, use 120 degrees.
At step 5 if using an Intelli, pop a tea towel over the steamer, use ST temp, speed 3 and cook for longer if required. If using a Supercook, use 120 degrees and speed 3.