Recently, there has been a lot of attention on deli meats and what the hidden ingredients could be doing to our health long term. These media spots are really good at scaring us, but when it comes time to packing lunchboxes with a busy lifestyle – sometimes its just easier to grab deli meat… until now. This Thermomix recipe is super easy to make, extremely delicious and better yet: preservative, additive, nut, gluten, dairy, egg, grain and refined sugar free! It’s also budget friendly, where you will pay $18 kg from the supermarket, this should cost you around $8-$15 a kg depending on if you use freerange chicken. Provided you can convince your family to give it a go, I think they will find it just as yummy as the store bought stuff. Love Nik xx
If you need help with how to roll the loaf, have a look at this video: http://youtu.be/s1FNe9iYRUM
Inspired by http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2015/08/05/homemade-lunch-meat-recipe/
- 500 g chicken breast, cubed small
- 10 g olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder (if you cant have it, dont use it!)
- 1 tsp paprika (if you cant have it, dont use it!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional, or other liquid sweetener)
- 2 large pieces of BPA free gladwrap
- Add all ingredients to mixer bowl, blend for 1 min 30 sec/speed 5/MC on.
- Scrape mixture out onto piece of gladwrap. Twist the ends and roll tight, squeezing as much air out as possible. Wrap securely with second piece of gladwrap. If you need to see a visual guide watch: http://youtu.be/s1FNe9iYRUM.
- Wash bowl roughly and add 1000g water. Put your deep steaming tray in place and put chicken roll inside. Steam for 35 min/steaming temperature/speed 3. Internal temperature should reach 74 degrees for doneness.
- Allow the roll to rest for 10 mins before refrigerating for atleast 2 hours. Unwrap and slice as needed. Keeps for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge and can be sliced and frozen.
Feel free to experiment with different meats and flavourings.
Here is a list of suggested flavours from the Skinnymixers Community.