I had the idea to develop a lunchbox meatball recipe with “hidden” vegetables for all the kids returning back to school over the coming weeks… so I googled “most nutritious vegetable” and of course Kale came up. I really don’t enjoy eating kale personally, I just think there are other foods out there which taste much nicer. These meatballs taste fantastic, because the parmesan cheese hides the kale taste wonderfully – it does not however hide the colour! If your kids love the colour green, they’re going to love these in their lunchboxes. Love Nik xx
- 100 g parmesan cheese, cubed small
- 40 g kale leaves, roughly chopped, stem removed (or other vegetables such as zucchini, spinach)
- 500 g regular beef mince
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
- oil for frying
- Add parmesan and kale to the mixer bowl, blend for 5 sec/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the oil, and mix for 5 sec/speed 4/MC on or until just combined.
- Form into small meatballs and lightly fry in a medium frypan until golden brown and cooked.
Use your sharp blade for this recipe and ensure your parmesan is in SMALL CUBES.
At step 1 add extra chopping time if required.
At step 2 extend mixing time if required, until just combined.