I think you might love this Risotto Frittatas with a Twist Thermomix recipe! Since my daughter started kindy, I have been looking for nutritious foods to prepare ahead of time for her lunch boxes.
The problem is, most of the stuff I was cooking for her pre kindy had nuts in it. The other day a Skinnymixer posted a photo of two meals she had prepared, risotto and sweet muffins… and that’s where the idea for Risotto Frittata with a Twist came from.
Anytime we go to an Italian restaurant, the kids have arancini – they love it and we love it because it doesn’t make a huge mess.
Except, its basically deep fried crumbed rice and not all that nutritious.
I feel like this healthy Thermomix recipe is a great compromise on traditional arancini, the flavours are all there but with the added bonus of hidden veg!
Love Nik xx
skinnymixer's Risotto Frittata with a Twist
- 50 g parmesan cheese cubed small
- 100 g quality block cheddar cheese cubed small
- 100 g carrot peeled, diced into small cubes
- 100 g sweet potato peeled, diced into small cubes
- 100 g zucchini diced into small cubes (peel if your kiddos have an issue with green stuff)
- 1 small brown onion
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 20 g olive oil
- 350 g arborio rice
- 2 tbsp stock concentrate
- 1000 g water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 whole eggs omit for egg allergies
- 18 medium/large muffin cases
- Add parmesan and cheddar to mixer bowl, mill for 10 sec/speed 9/MC on. Set aside. You can either clean your bowl now, or risk it burning and needing to clean it later.
- Add onion and garlic to mixer bowl, chop for 5 sec/speed 5/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add oil and cook for 5 min/100°C or 212°F/speed 1/MC off.
- Add rice, stock concentrate, water, vinegar and pepper to mixer bowl. Put your chopped vegetables in your deep steaming tray and put it in place. Cook for 25 min/steaming temp/reverse/speed 1. Set aside in a thermal server or bowl to cool.
- Without washing the bowl, add cooked veggies and blend for 3 sec/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down and repeat until desired consistency is achieved. If your kids are fussy with vegetables, blend until fairly smooth.
- Stir veggie puree and 2 / 3 of the reserved cheese blend through the risotto. Leave it to cool on the bench for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 400°F and stir the eggs through the risotto mixture.
- Put muffin cases into muffin tins and portion risotto mixture out amongst muffin cases or alternatively silicone muffin trays. Sprinkle the tops with reserved cheese blend and bake in the oven for 30 min or until deep golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 min before taking the cases out of the muffin tin, so they dont get soggy. They will be very soft you need to allow to cool completely before serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.