Visiting Florence was the highlight of my trip to Italy for research and development in 2017, and I adored the Tuscany regional food.
While in Florence, I had the pleasure of attending a cooking class with Laura at Cooking in Florence (Highly recommended if you’re ever in Florence!). Sarah and I were stunned at the Torte Bertolina, or Italian Grape Cake – traditionally made seasonally at harvest time in Italy. While I used seedless red grapes, you will find this made more commonly with the small dark sweet grapes when in season.
Lucky for us, grapes are about to come in to season, you will be sure to fall in love with the scent of sweet grapes, olive oil and rosemary baking in the oven.
Love Nik xx
skinnymixer's Torta Bertolina
- 300 g raw almonds
- 100 g sugar of choice we used coconut sugar
- 100 g coconut milk
- 50 g olive oil
- 5 whole eggs
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 200 g sweet red seedless grapes cut in half
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Grease and line a 22 cm or 8" springform cake tin. Preheat oven to 160°C or 320°F, fan-forced.
- Place almonds in mixer bowl, mill for 8-10 sec/speed 8/MC on, or until almonds are ground fine. Scrape mixer bowl down, ensuring to loosen the almonds from the bottom of the bowl.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, olive oil, eggs, zest and vanilla to mixer bowl. Combine for 10 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Add half of the grapes to mixture and combine gently with a spatula.
- Pour into prepared cake tin, arrange the other half of the grapes on top, sprinkle over rosemary and place on middle rack of oven. Bake for 30-40 min, check torte after 30 min. The torte is ready when a skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin before turning out. We recommend allowing this cake to cool completely before serving.