I developed this grain free Warming Porridge recipe when I discovered that I was gluten intolerant. It immediately became apparent how restrictive my breakfast meal options would be without cereals and grains on the menu.
One of the things that I missed the most was slow cooked oats on a cold winter morning, and I was sure that there were plenty of other gluten intolerant people in the community who felt the same.
This gluten free breakfast Thermomix recipe for ‘warming porridge’ captures the warmth and satisfaction that you get from a bowl of warm oats, without compromising your health.
Dairy free & gluten free breakfasts don’t need to be a struggle, check out some of my other Thermomix breakfast recipes:
- skinnymixer’s English Breakfast Bake
- skinnymixer’s Breakfast Quinoa
- THMII: Apple Grumble
- THMIII: Granola
- THMIII: Hollandaise
- THMII: Breakfast Sausage Patties
This healthy Thermomix breakfast recipe is also featured in The Healthy Mix III cookbook.
skinnymixer's Warming "Porridge"
- 30 g raw almonds
- 30 g raw macadamia nuts
- 30 g brazil or cashew nuts
- 1 whole apple quartered
- 1 medjool date deseeded (optional or 1 tbsp sweetener)
- 25 g flax seed or linseed meal or chia seed meal
- 10 g shredded coconut
- 270 g coconut milk plus extra for serving if desired
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 15 g ghee butter or coconut oil
- Add nuts to mixer bowl, chop for 5 sec/speed 5/MC on. Set aside.
- Add apple and date or sweetener if using and chop for 3 sec/speed 5/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add 50 g or 1.8 oz water to apple and cook for 5 min/steaming temp/speed 2/MC on.
- Blend for 3 sec/speed 5/MC on.
- Add remaining ingredients, (you may also need to add a little water, depending on the kind of brand and milk you use), and cook for 4 min/100°C or 212°F/speed 2/MC on or until desired consistency is reached.
- You can add extra milk or water at this stage and blend through if you prefer a runnier porridge.