I have been hoarding this amazing pork belly recipe for a good year… the plan was for it to go into my first cookbook, but then I went with Indian, and then Asian – so I figure Christmas is the perfect time to share it with everyone. Steamed meat isnt high on everyones list, but par cooking this in the Thermomix or Bellini then finishing it off in the oven is the best way to ensure fall apart, moist meat. I hope you all love this recipe as much as my family did. P.s. My kids call this one “Big Bacon”.
- 500 g | 17.6 oz apples, unpeeled, quartered
- 20 g | 0.7 oz honey
- 10 g | 0.3 oz fresh lemon juice
- 900 g | 31.7 oz pork belly, scored with 1 inch lines
- 1 tbsp salt and a little olive oil for rind
- Add the apples to mixer bowl, chop for 5 sec/speed 8/MC on.
- Add honey, lemon juice and 1000 g or 35.3 oz water to mixer bowl, blend for 30 sec/speed 9/MC on.
- Put the steaming tray in place, with the pork belly inside (either the deep tray or the flat tray, which ever it fits best in). Steam for 60 min/steaming temperature/speed 2. In the mean time, preheat oven to 250°C or 480°F(or max temp) fan forced when there is 20 minutes remaining.
- Remove roast to roasting tray and pat the skin of the pork dry. Rub the rind with a little oil, then salt the rind liberally. Pour apple sauce around the base of the pork. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until well browned. If your oven is one of those ovens that refuses to produce beautiful crackling, try putting it under a medium grill before serving.
- Serve immediately with apple sauce from roasting tray.
Use your sharp blade for this recipe.
At step 3 if using an Intelli, put a tea towel over the steamer, use ST temp and speed 3. If using a Supercook, use 120°C or 250°F and speed 3.