Before there was the Butter Chicken, there was the Nyonya Chicken Curry. This is one of the best curries I have made in my Thermomix, and one for the traditional malaysian style curry lovers out there. Be generous with the curry leaves – they really make the curry recipe!
- Wet Paste:
- 3 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3-7 small red dried chillis (adjust based on spice preference)
- 1 heaped tsp dried tumeric
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 240 g | 8.5 oz brown onion, peeled, halved
- 50 g | 1.8 oz olive oil
- 10 sprigs of curry leaves (yes 10 whole sprigs! this is a small handful of leaves if using dried)
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 700 g | 24.7 oz chicken breast, diced
- 400 ml | 13.52 fl oz coconut cream (Ayum brand)
- 100 g | 3.5 oz water
- 1 tbsp salt (or to preference)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional for LCHF/ keto)
- Add the wet paste ingredients to mixer bowl, blend for 1 min/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add the olive oil, curry leaves, star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick, as well as 50 g or 1.8 oz of the coconut cream. Cook for 20 min/100°C or 212°F/reverse/speed soft/MC on.
- Insert butterfly attachment, add chicken, remainder of coconut cream, water, salt and sugar. Cook for 17 min/100°C or 212°F/reverse/speed soft/MC off.
- Remove whole spices and majority of the curry leaves and serve.
For a vegetarian version, add 500 g or 17.6 oz small diced vegetables to the simmering basket during step 2.
OR - omit the chicken and serve over boiled eggs! This is great with left overs as well.
You can buy Curry Leaves in the fresh herb section of Woolworths, Specialty Green Grocers and Asian Supermarkets. You can also buy a Curry Leaf Tree from Bunnings or other plant nurseries.
Use your blunt blade for this recipe.
At step 2 use speed 1.
At step 3 DO NOT use your butterfly and use speed 1.
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #skinnymixers — We love to see your creations on Instagram & Facebook!
Nik’s Breakfast Tip: Save some of the Nyonya curry sauce to poach eggs in or pour over hard boiled eggs!
This was inspired by Poh’s Malaysian Nyonya Chicken Curry.
Love this Thermomix Curry Recipe? You might like to cook these…
- ALToA: Ayam Kapitan
- ALToA: Beef Rendang
- ALToA: Curry Mee Laksa
- Guest Recipe: Shirley’s Malay Chicken Curry
- skinnymixer’s Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
- skinnymixer’s Thai Red Chicken Curry
Or Pin it for later…