- 3 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-7 small red dried chillis (adjust based on spice preference, I used 3)
- 1.5 tsp dried turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp Malaysian Meat Curry Powder (see Notes)
- 40 g olive oil
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 50 g water
- 500 g chicken breast, *large* chunks
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled, medium dice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar/brown sugar/rapadura/white sugar
- Blend the wet paste ingredients; work your way up to 1 min/speed 9.
- Scrape mixer bowl down.
- Add 80 g of coconut milk, olive oil, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Cook 3 min/100°C/speed soft/reverse.
- Add chicken pieces, sweet potato, remaining coconut milk, water, salt and sugar.
- Cook 18 min/100°C/speed soft/reverse/MC off.
- Let curry stand for 5 min before serving with rice or use cauli rice for a paleo version!
Use blunt blade for this recipe.
At step 4 use speed 1
At step 6 use speed 1 and increase cooking time if sweet potato isn't tender at the end of this step.
Comments from Michael
This has been a staple recipe long before the “Thermy Days” and is simply to die for. Even the children love it mixed with a little bit of home-made yoghurt. “More curry please!” 🙂