I wrote this recipe for Low Carb Burger Buns when I fell in love with the popular burger bar version and it has been loved amongst the gluten free and low carb Thermomix community ever since. These make great savoury pancakes, burger buns or can even be a sweet option with your preferred sweetener added. Try cutting them into small squares and baking in the oven for low carb croutons to pair with my Chicken Caesar Salad recipe which can be found in the original ‘The Healthy Mix I’ recipe book. If you have a Pie Maker you can use it to make perfectly round burger buns, check out the tips on ‘The Skinnymixers Guide to Pie Makers’.
skinnymixer's Low Carb Savoury Pancake
- 230 g | 8.1 oz raw almonds or almond meal
- 60 g | 2.1 oz tapioca flour
- 15 g | 0.5 oz psyllium husk
- 270 g | 9.5 oz coconut cream Ayam brand
- 130 g | 4.6 oz water
- 5 whole eggs
- 5 g | 0.2 oz salt
- Add half the almonds to mixer bowl, mill for 20 sec/speed 9/MC on. Set aside. Repeat with remaining almonds and return all milled almonds to the mixer bowl.
- Add the tapioca flour, psyllium husk and salt to mixer bowl, blend for 5 sec/speed 5/MC on.
- Using a spatula, scrape the flour mixture from the sides and bottom of the bowl to loosen it.
- Add coconut cream, eggs and water to mixer bowl and blend for 1 min/speed 5/MC on.
- Let mixture sit in the mixer bowl for 10 mins while you pre heat a 12.5 cm pan (single egg pan) to low/medium heat.
- Dry fry around 50 g or 1.8 oz of mixture per bun until slightly browned on each side.
- When all of the buns are cooked, you can either use them straight away as a savoury pancake with breakfast.
- Alternatively: refrigerate buns for 8 hrs in an airtight container, once cooled, to use as burger buns or as a sandwich alternative.
- To reheat for burger buns: grill on the BBQ or in a pan until warm.