After spending 5 days and nights eating non stop Mexican food on our recent cookbook research trip to Mexico, I woke up on day 6 absolutely craving something a bit more like home.
Lucky for me the room service menu had something on it in Spanish that I could roughly figure out was Quinoa & Cashew nut milk – no trace of the words I had become intimately familiar with like “beans”, or “salsa”.
I really enjoyed the breakfast and I knew I was going to come back home and recreate it. It’s definitely different, but I enjoy the texture of Quinoa and I also love that this is just a basic recipe which can be dressed up however you like and served warm or cold. I hope you all enjoy it.
Love Nik xx
skinnymixer's Breakfast Quinoa
- 200 g white quinoa rinsed thoroughly under cold water - for at least 2 minutes.
- 400 g milk of choice (I used Thermobexta Cashew Coconut Milk)
- 20-50 g liquid sweetener of choice I used maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/syrup/extract
- Extra milk
- Extra sweetener like a sprinkling of brown sugar
- Fresh blueberries cashew nuts, shredded coconut, cinnamon and maple syrup
- Blueberry Sauce
- Banana cinnamon and maple syrup
- Stewed apple cinnamon and walnuts
- Make sure you have rinsed your quinoa well before beginning, and put it into the mixer bowl with milk, sweetener and vanilla. Cook for 25-30 min/90°C or 195°F/speed 1/MC off, or until quinoa is cooked (you can tell because their little tails come out).
- Remove to a bowl and allow quinoa to soak up milk for 10 mins. You can serve warm or cold from the fridge - it will last 3 days in an airtight container.