This is the first recipe I ever “developed”. Shortly after moving in with my now husband, Michael, I asked him what he was craving for dinner and he replied “curried sausages”. Now, I had never heard of curried sausages in my life… so I jumped on Google and browsed about 100 recipes, with this concept in my head that it would be creamy and coconutty… only to find it was more of a tomatoey dish with supermarket curry powder in it. PASS!!!! This recipe is really delicious, but more of a comfort meal in the Skinnymixer household. My husband requests it any time I ask him what he wants for dinner, so I have stopped asking. I converted it to Thermomix a few years ago and whenever someone asks for a curried sausages recipe, I find the original version raved about. Usually we do it with frozen peas, but I didn’t have any on hand so chucked in some baby spinach – which we actually now prefer. Find out more about my healthy Thermomix recipes.
- 1 small brown onion, peeled, halved
- 30 g butter or oil
- 1 kg thin beef sausages (we use gluten free or grain free when available)
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1-2 tbsp babas meat curry powder
- 2 tbsp stock concentrate + 850 g water (or liquid stock instead)
- 60 g tomato paste
- 400ml tin coconut cream
- 200 g frozen peas or baby spinach
- Place sausages on deep steaming tray, in a layered up ladder style to allow for air flow.
- Weigh rice into the simmering basket and rinse well.
- Put the onion into the mixer bowl, chop for 2 sec/speed 6/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add butter and cook for 5 min/100 degrees/speed 1/MC off.
- Add curry powder and cook for 1 min/100 degrees/speed 1/MC off.
- Add water, stock concentrate and tomato paste to bowl. Put simmering basket with rice in place. Put the steaming tray in place. Cook for 20 min/steaming temperature/speed 4. Periodically stir rice up with spatula while cooking.
- Remove sausages. Remove rice toa thermo server to keep warm. ** do not drain liquid, keep it in bowl**
- At this point you can choose to peel the sausages and then slice them as preferred.
- Insert butterfly, add sausages coconut cream and peas to bowl. Cook for 8 min/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
The quality of the sausages have a big impact on this dish, you can substitute chicken breast or chicken thigh utilising the same cooking instructions. It is also popular with chicken sausages or sausages cooked on the BBQ instead of steamed.
The sauce is a runny sauce which is soaked up by the rice for extra flavour.
You can find the curry powder at Asian and Indian grocers or online here: http://bit.ly/1PXPEsY. Skinnymixers recieve 10% off using the discount code SKMIX in the shopping cart and if you stock up on other things you need its only a $12 flatrate shipping fee x (not sponsored)
Use the blunt blade for this recipe.
At step 4 you may need to increase the onion cooking time.
At step 6 if using an Intelli place a tea towel over the steamer lid, use speed 3 and increase cooking time if required. If using a Supercook please use speed 4.
At step 9 DO NOT use your butterfly and be sure to use speed 1.