My family and I recently went on a little trip to Sydney for a concert, and it was such a delight to take our kids to experience proper Yum Cha for the first time. Michael had this great idea of letting the kids choose whatever they wanted to eat off of the little Yum Cha carts to get the proper experience, and both of the kids jumped at the coconut jelly for dessert and loved it. I think its a lovely textural dessert and full of coconut flavour. I have made a healthier version of the traditional dessert using Xylitol for the sweetener, so it is also great for low carbers and those with diabetes who want a little sweet treat. I hope you enjoy it as much as our kids do! Love Nik xx
- 70 g | 2.5 oz xylitol (or preferred sweetener)
- 400 g | 14.1 oz coconut milk (I recommend Ayam brand for this as it won't split)
- 100 g | 3.5 oz water
- 1 tbsp powdered agar agar (I get mine for $1.50 a packet from the Asian grocer, but you can also get it from health food stores, its just more expensive)
- Mill xylitol for 10 sec/speed 7/mc on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix for 30 sec/speed 3/MC on.
- Cook for 10 min/90°C or 195°F/speed 2/MC off.
- Pour it into silicone moulds of choice then let it cool for 10 mins before refrigerating for at least 1 hour before serving.
Use your sharp blade for this recipe.
At step 1 use sp 8/9 to mill Xylitol and process for longer if required.