Something I didn’t realise before I went to Venice was how heavily seafood features in their cuisine, in hindsight that should have been really obvious, so vegetarian meals were my go to in Venice and Pasta Alla Norma was one of my favourite things to eat!I love how fresh and light this sauce is, despite being a Sicilian recipe, which means it is perfect for the warmer weather Australia is coming in to.
Let me know if you love this just as much as I do!
Love Nik xx
skinnymixer's Pasta Alla Norma (sauce)
- 500 g eggplant 2 cm cubes (approx. 2 eggplants)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for roasting
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 medium onion peeled, quartered
- 20 g olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins whole tomatoes we recommend Ardmona brand
- 1 bunch of basil leaves only (approx. 30 g)
- 30 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 400°F, fan forced.
- Toss eggplant through olive oil and place on roasting tray. Cook for 25 mins, or until soft and golden brown. With 5 mins remaining, begin step 3.
- Add onion and garlic to mixer bowl. Chop for 3 sec/speed 7/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add the 20 g olive oil to mixer bowl. Cook for 5 min/100°C or 212°F/speed 1/MC off.
- Add remaining ingredients, including roasted eggplant, to mixer bowl. Cook for 25 min/steaming temp/speed 1/MC off. Place simmering basket on top to avoid splatter.
- Season to taste. Serve over your favourite pasta, zucchini noodles or as a delicious topping over steak or chicken breast.