Skordalia is something I grew up seeing at Greek weddings and parties but I haven’t eaten it for many years… until our good friend, Tatum, brought some over the other night to snack on while watching the UFC. It had poppyseeds in it, which I haven’t seen before and instantly felt inspired to create my own ‘healthier’ version using way less oil and low carb potatoes. Tatum promised to love me forever if I could pull it off, and I think I have managed to! If you do like a smoother/runnier Skordalia, feel free to add extra olive oil in. Looking forward to seeing this served and enjoyed for Christmas in only 1 month :O Love Nik xx
- 300 g potato, peeled and cubed medium (low carb or Coliban)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 10 g olive oil
- 10 g lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- ½ tsp salt
- Weigh in 400 g water into mixer bowl, insert simmering basket with potato inside and cook for 15 min/steaming temperature/speed 3 or until potato is cooked. Discard steaming water.
- Allow potato to cool, I like to soak them in cold water to speed up the process.
- Add garlic to mixer bowl, chop for 3 sec/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down and repeat once.
- Add cooled potatoes to mixer bowl, mash for 15 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend for 20 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Use your sharp blade for this recipe.
At step 1 use ST temp if using an Intelli and 120-130 degrees if using a Supercook.
At step 3 increase chopping time if required.
At step 5 add on blending time if required.