Skordalia is something I grew up seeing at Greek weddings and parties but I haven’t eaten it for many years…
until our good friend, Tatum, brought some over the other night to snack on while watching the UFC. It had poppyseeds in it, which I haven’t seen before and instantly felt inspired to create my own ‘healthier’ version using way less oil and low carb potatoes.
Tatum promised to love me forever if I could pull it off, and I think I have managed to! If you do like a smoother/runnier Skordalia, feel free to add extra olive oil in. Looking forward to seeing this served and enjoyed for Christmas in only 1 month :O
Love Nik xx
Poppyseed Skordalia (potato dip)
- 300 g potato peeled and cubed medium (low carb or Coliban)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic peeled
- 10 g olive oil
- 10 g lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Weigh in 400 g or 14.1 oz water into mixer bowl, insert simmering basket with potato inside and cook for 15 min/steaming temp/speed 3 or until potato is cooked. Discard steaming water.
- Allow potato to cool, I like to soak them in cold water to speed up the process.
- Add garlic to mixer bowl, chop for 3 sec/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down and repeat once.
- Add cooled potatoes to mixer bowl, mash for 15 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend for 20 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.