Michael and dad LOVE mussels, and with Easter around the corner I thought it was a perfect excuse to get back in to the kitchen and cooking for this amazingly supportive community. Cooking your mussels in your Thermal cooker is not only really quick, but they turn out plumper and less rubbery according to my family (I’ll take their word on this one…) – This has a great kick to it, but you can always reduce the chilli content for a more mild version. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did developing it after a little recovery break, Love Nik xx
skinnymixer's Chilli Mussels
- 1 x medium brown onion peeled, quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 3 fresh long red chillies roughly chopped (you can deseed them and reduce the amount for mild)
- 30 g | 1 oz olive oil
- 400 g | 14.1 oz tin of diced tomato I recommend Ardmona
- 30 g | 1 oz tomato paste
- 1 tbsp stock concentrate
- 100 g | 3.5 oz water
- 1 kg | 35.2 oz fresh mussels debearded
- handful of fresh continental parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tsp capers optional
- Add onion, garlic and chilli to mixer bowl. Chop for 3-5 sec/speed 5/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the mussels and serving ingredients. Cook for 10 min/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.Put the deep steaming tray in place to avoid splatter in your kitchen.
- Put the mussels into the deep steaming tray and cook for a further 7 min/steaming temperature/speed 2 or until mussels are opened and cooked.
- Stir through the sauce and mussels into a serving bowl, top with parsley and capers and enjoy!