This is the official place for Skinnymixers Butter Chicken discussion and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
We all know that Nik has created an incredible recipe here but having all of the questions, answers, photographs and praise in one thread will save all skinnymixers (new or old) needing to search for info on this viral recipe.
You can access the Skinnymixer’s Butter Chicken here.
How long does it take to cook from beginning to end?
- Allow 90 minutes for your first time. Each time you cook it you will find it gets faster!
Is this hot/spicy?
- It isn’t hot at all BUT make sure your garam masala doesn’t contain pepper!
- You can make your own Pepper Free Garam Masala with this recipe – click here.
The recipe makes a lot of sauce, can I increase the Chicken?
- The amounts specified in the recipe are the maximum weight restrictions for the different machines. It is best to make the recipe and cook additional chicken on the stove top if required, then mix in by hand.
- If doubling the chicken, remember to double the marinade. You can also cook additional chicken in the Varoma.
I have a lot of sauce left over what can I use it for?
- You can freeze the left over sauce and add it to some cooked chicken for a quick meal.
- Butter Chicken Pizza is also amazing – use the sauce on the base and add chicken, onion, capsicum, spinach, cheese – anything really!
- Butter Chicken Pies
- Freeze in ice-cube trays to make Butter Chicken Kievs!
Different Dietary Variations:
- LCHF – swap cashews for almonds and omit honey.
- Lower Calorie – omit nuts and honey, use natural yoghurt
How can I easily remove the whole spices?
- Some people use empty tea bags to contain the whole spices, however it is not recommended as it could cause problems with your blades/thermal cooking machines. It also stops the spices infusing their full flavour.
- It is easier to fish the spices out prior to adding the coriander.
- Alternatively you could play Butter Chicken Bingo and the person with the least amount of spices at the end has to wash the dishes!
Can I use my slow cooker to double the chicken?
- Yes you can you can add double the chicken into a slow cooker with double the marinade and one portion of the sauce. Cook for 4-5 hours on low. Stir through cream and nuts at the end.
- For tips on how to cook this in a slow cooker please see our Slow Cooker Tips.
- Chicken thighs are great to use in the slow cooker to avoid the chicken breast drying out.
I want to make this in a different brand thermal cooker?
- Make sure you check out our Thermal Cooking Conversion page for any tips. Alternatively there are Bellini tips included in the recipe.
How can I make a Vegetarian version?
- Chickpeas and Cauliflower are a popular vegetarian variation. You could also use Paneer and any vegetables that you have. There is specific vegetarian instructions in the ‘A Little Taste of India’ cookbook.
Help! I don’t have any Apple Cider Vinegar?
- The best substitute will be lemon juice or to omit, however others have successfully used white vinegar.
Help! I don’t have cream?
- You can use natural yoghurt, coconut cream, coconut milk, sour cream
Help! I don’t have one of the spices?
- Just omit 🙂
Help! I forgot to set aside at one of the steps?
- Just keep going 🙂
My Butter Chicken is too sweet?
- Some honey is stronger than others. Adjust the quantity to your personal preference or simply omit.
My Butter Chicken is too acidic and tastes horrible?
- Most likely your Apple Cider Vinegar is double strength or a little too much has been added. Check your ACV and use half quantities next time.
What are the conversions to use ground spices instead of the whole spices?
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 pinches of cardamon powder or 1 tsp cardamon seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of the clove
Where can I find pepper-free Garam Masala?
- The Hoyts brand in Woolworths and Coles was pepper free. Check before purchasing.
- You can also purchase at your local Asian or Indian Supermarket in larger quantities much cheaper.
- Alternatively you can make your own and make sure to omit the pepper. Here is a Pepper Free Garam Masala Recipe: http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/basics-recipes/garam-masala/67665
- If you can’t find pepper-free Garam Masala it is fine to use a Garam Masala with pepper in it. However if you don’t want it to be spicy, omit the chilli and reduce the Garam Masala to 1 tsp or to your preference.
- iHerb also stocks pepper-free Garam Masala
- You can get all your Skinnymixers Spice needs from grandmaspantry.skinnymixers.com
How can I make it Dairy-free?
- You can substitute Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk in place of the cream.
- You can also substitute 100g Olive Oil, Ghee or Coconut Oil in place of the butter.
How can I make it Nut-free?
- Simply omit the nuts (preferred) or use Sunflower Seeds to add thickness to the sauce.
How can I make this Low Fodmap?
- A popular substitute for the onion is the green part of spring onions or omit.
- Some people also replace the garlic with a little garlic infused olive oil.
How can I increase the Vegetables in this dish?
- The Butter Chicken goes perfectly with the Vegetarian Biryani
- You can serve with steamed greens
- Switch a portion of the chicken for a vegetable of choice and cook for the appropriate time. Pumpkin, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms, spinach all go well in this dish.
Help! I’m time poor but really want to make this?
- You can do the initial steps in the morning and then complete the final cooking steps just prior to dinner.
Can I make this a day in advance?
- Yes! Like most curries it will be even better on day 2.
Is it freezer friendly?
Help! I can’t find my butterfly?
- Make sure your cut the chicken in extra large chunks and use the reverse, slow speed function.
How long should I marinate the chicken for?
- It only needs to be marinated whilst the rest of the steps are happening.
- You can marinate a day in advance also.