Hardly an original recipe concept, but this Banana, Walnut & Date Loaf is delicious, grain free, dairy free and very low in unrefined sugar. It’s definitely something I still consider a treat food, because I have about 8 kg to go with my weight loss and I have found that nuts don’t seem to work for me; but its a great after school snack for the kids and I wouldn’t think twice about serving this to them for breakfast either.
- 330 g | 11.6 oz raw almonds
- 3 whole eggs
- 250 g | 8.8 oz over ripe banana flesh (3 large bananas)
- 70 g | 2.5 oz coconut oil or butter
- 25 g | 0.9 oz honey or liquid sweetener of choice (increase if you like it sweet)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 50 g | 1.8 oz walnuts, chopped small (optional, you can use any nut you like too)
- 50 g | 1.8 oz medjool date flesh, chopped small (optional)
- Optional: sliced banana for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 °C or 350°F fanforced and either grease/line a standard loaf tin, or use a silicone one.
- Add 165 g of the raw almonds to dry mixer bowl, mill for 10 sec/speed 9/MC on or until fine. Set aside.
- Add remaining raw almonds and mill for 10 sec/speed 9/MC on.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the reserved ground almonds, but excluding the walnuts and dates, and mix for 15 sec/speed 5/MC on.
- Scrape bowl down, add walnuts and dates, and blend for a further 5 sec/speed 4/MC on.
- Remove cake batter to prepared loaf tin, garnish with banana slices if using, and bake in the oven for 40 min or until cooked. Please note, depending on your oven and the size/depth of your loaf tin, timing can be variable. You want a skewer to come out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before slicing.
Use sharp blade for this recipe.
At step 2 mill for longer if required.
At step 5 blend for longer if necessary.