The Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Thermomix recipe is one of the original Skinnymixers recipes.
Packed full of flavour with some simple spices, it is a crowd favourite in the Skinnymixers Facebook Group. For those following the Whole30 diet, it is an amazing compliant dinner recipe.
If you are new to slow cooking meats, don’t be concerned about putting the spice coated pork into the slow cooker without any liquid. You will actually find that the meat releases a lot of juices throughout the cooking process.
For Best Results with the Pulled Pork
- I recommend preparing the day before and allowing the meat to marinate overnight at a minimum.
- Fresh spices will also produce the maximum amount of flavour, as spices become dull over time.
- Don’t cook it overnight or you won’t be able to sleep through the amazing smell!
- Use as part of a Mexican Feast with some recipes from my A Little Taste of Mexico Cookbook.
- Serve on sliders or Pita Bread Wraps with Appleslaw.
- Serve the Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork with a simple salad & Chipotle Mayo.
skinnymixer's Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp chipotle powder / OR. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar / OR. rapadura / OR. brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1.5 kg or 3.3 lb pork shoulder fat removed (keep it and turn it into crackling to serve on the side ;))
- 2 Tbsp macadamia or olive oil
Slow Cooker Method
- Add dry rub ingredients to mixer bowl, mill for 10 sec/speed 8. Pour in to your slow cooker bowl if your bowl is removable and able to go in the fridge. Otherwise just put it in a large bowl.
- Remove any butcher string and excess fat from pork roast and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Put your pork in the slow cooker bowl and cover liberally with the dry spice rub. Dont throw away any excess just keep it in the bottom of the bowl.
- Refrigerate covered over night or atleast 1 hour.
- Heat oil up in a large frying pan to medium heat. Take roast out of bowl, leaving excess dry spice rub behind. Brown all sides of the roast.
- Return roast to the slow cooker bowl, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once roast is tender, remove from slow cooker and chop roughly. Return to slow cooker bowl with retained juices and shred with two forks, mix well and serve.
- Follow above steps 1 - 5 to marinate and brown the meat
- Preheat oven to 150 °C or 300°F fan forced
- Cover roast with two layers of baking paper and a layer of alfoil and bake for 6 hours or until tender.
- Once roast is tender, remove from oven and let the meat rest for 10 mins. Shred with two forks, mix well and serve.