skinnymixer's Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
** this recipe should be prepared 24 hours in advance for marinading and then needs around 8 hours cooking time in the slow cooker**
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp chipotle powder / OR. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar / OR. rapadura / OR. brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1.5kg pork shoulder, fat removed (keep it and turn it into crackling to serve on the side ;))
- 2 Tbsp macadamia or olive oil
Slow Cooker Method
- Add dry rub ingredients to mixer bowl, mill for 10 sec/speed 8. Pour in to your slow cooker bowl if your bowl is removable and able to go in the fridge. Otherwise just put it in a large bowl.
- Remove any butcher string and excess fat from pork roast and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Put your pork in the slow cooker bowl and cover liberally with the dry spice rub. Dont throw away any excess just keep it in the bottom of the bowl.
- Refrigerate covered over night or atleast 1 hour.
- Heat oil up in a large frying pan to medium heat. Take roast out of bowl, leaving excess dry spice rub behind. Brown all sides of the roast.
- Return roast to the slow cooker bowl, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once roast is tender, remove from slow cooker and chop roughly. Return to slow cooker bowl with retained juices and shred with two forks, mix well and serve.
- Follow above steps 1 - 5 to marinate and brown the meat
- Preheat oven to 150 °C fan forced
- Cover roast with two layers of baking paper and a layer of alfoil and bake for 6 hours or until tender.
- Once roast is tender, remove from oven and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Shred with two forks, mix well and serve.
Serving size: 130g Calories: 229 Fat: 9.3g Saturated fat: 2.3g Carbohydrates: 5.6g Sugar: 3.2g Sodium: 907mg Protein: 29.8g