Before there was the Butter Chicken, there was the Nyonya Chicken Curry.
This is one of the best curries I have made in my Thermomix, and one for the traditional Malaysian style curry lovers out there.
Be generous with the curry leaves – they really make the curry recipe!
Nik’s Breakfast Tip: Save some of the Nyonya curry sauce to poach eggs in or pour over hard boiled eggs!
This was inspired by Poh’s Malaysian Nyonya Chicken Curry.
Love this Thermomix Curry Recipe? You might like to cook these…
- ALToA: Ayam Kapitan
- ALToA: Beef Rendang
- ALToA: Curry Mee Laksa
- Guest Recipe: Shirley’s Malay Chicken Curry
- skinnymixer’s Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
- skinnymixer’s Thai Red Chicken Curry
skinnymixer's Nyonya Chicken Curry
- 3 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3-7 small red dried chillis adjust based on spice preference
- 1 heaped tsp dried tumeric
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 240 g brown onion peeled, halved
- 50 g olive oil
- 10 sprigs of curry leaves yes 10 whole sprigs!!! this is a small handful of leaves if using dried
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 700 g chicken breast diced
- 400 ml coconut cream Ayum brand
- 100 g water
- 1 Tbsp salt or to preference
- 1 tsp coconut sugar optional for LCHF/ keto
- Add the wet paste ingredients to mixer bowl, blend for 1 min/speed 9/MC on. Scrape bowl down.
- Add the olive oil, curry leaves, star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick, as well as 50 g or 1.8 oz of the coconut cream. Cook for 20 min/100°C or 212°F/reverse/speed soft/MC on.
- Insert butterfly attachment, add chicken, remainder of coconut cream, water, salt and sugar. Cook for 17 min/100°C or 212°F/reverse/speed soft/MC off.
- Remove whole spices and majority of the curry leaves and serve.
At step 3 DO NOT use your butterfly and use speed 1.
Or Pin it for later…