Hungarian Goulash is a popular meat and paprika stew, originating in Medieval Hungary. I love how simple, yet full of flavour this healthy Hungarian Goulash Thermomix recipe is and I also love the versatility of this recipe.
There are so many variations of Hungarian Goulash, that I figured creating a base recipe, that you could easily adapt would be ideal.
Feel free to chuck in potato, capsicum and wine if you are used to your Goulash having these ingredients!
I haven’t had Hungarian Goulash for years as it was something that I cooked from a supermarket packet mix.
This preservative free, healthy Thermomix recipe will be popular with the family and can be made in the slow cooker or pressure cooker by reducing the water.
Enjoy, Love Nik xx
FREE MEAL PLANNER DOWNLOAD: Are you on our Skinnymixers Newsletter? Have all of our latest Thermomix recipes delivered to your Inbox – http://bit.ly/SkinnyNews
Slow Cooker Tips
Transfer the recipe to the slow cooker from the Thermomix in Step 3, after adding the ingredients but before cooking for 20 mins. & reduce water to 200 g or less for less sauce & increase meat to 1kg-1.4kg. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs or until beef is tender.
You may wish to thicken the stew with a cornflour + water paste in the last 30 mins or cook with the lid off until liquid has reduced.
If you have added potatoes and other vegetables to make it an all-in-one, you will need to season to taste.
Other Cuts of Meat
We’ve seen so many different variations of this recipe in the Skinnymixers Facebook Group, from diced chicken thighs & diced lamb in the Thermomix or Osso Bucco & Lamb Shanks in the Slow Cooker.
Feel free to use any of the slow cooking meats in the slow cooker and cook accordingly with the sauce base. Just remember to reduce the water content when slow cooking.
Super Skinny Pressure Cooker Version
To save time and avoid chopping onion/garlic. Replace onion with 2 Tbsp onion powder and use 1 Tbsp garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic.
You can increase the meat to 1kg also in the pressure cooker. Omit oil, add all other ingredients into the pressure cooker and cook on high for 20 mins.
skinnymixer's Hungarian Goulash
- 1 medium onion peeled, halved
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 30 g olive oil
- 700 g gravy beef trimmed and diced small
- 500 g liquid beef stock or 500 g water + 1 Tbsp beef stock concentrate
- 50 g tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 Bay leaf
- 150 g carrots peeled, cut into chunks
- Sour cream and parsley to serve
- Add onion and garlic to mixer bowl. Chop for 3 sec/speed 5/MC on. Scrape mixer bowl down.
- Add olive oil and cook for 5 min/100 deg/speed 1/MC off.
- Add beef, liquid stock, tomato paste, paprika and bay leaf to mixer bowl. Cook for 20 min/steaming temp/slowest speed/MC off - place simmering basket on top to avoid splatter.
- Add carrots and cook for further 15 min/steaming temp/slowest speed/MC off – place simmering basket on top to avoid splatter. Due to differing water content in beef, the cook time may need to be extended by 5-10 min.
- Season to taste, it will need an extra pinch or two of salt and pepper!
Use your blunt blade for this recipe At step 1 repeat if necessary.
At step 3 use ST temp and sp 1 if using an Intelli and 120 degrees and sp 1 if using a Supercook.
At step 4 use ST temp and sp 1 if using an Intelli and 120 degrees and sp 1 if using a Supercook.
Love this Beef Stew? You might want to try these Beef Thermomix recipes…
- skinnymixer’s Beef Bourguignon
- skinnymixer’s Slow Cooked Mexican Beef
- THM: Simple Stew
- ALToI: Beef Madras
- ALToI: Beef Vindaloo
- skinnymixer’s Beef & Zucchini Broth Soup
Love Pinterest? Pin the recipe for later:
If you love the new Hungarian Beef Goulash recipe or have a variation that you have tried and loved, we’d love to hear from you in the Skinnymixers Facebook Group.